Product Photography Tips and Tutorials 101
Have you ever tried dining in a restaurant where the menu is in full text? All things you saw were words and figures, no photo? If you did, I’m sure that you found it difficult to select your order, especially if you are not familiar with the food and beverages listed on the menu.
This is only one of the problems that product photography wanted to address.
The Role of Product Photography in Business
In 2011, eBay has US$ 11.651 billion revenue and US$ 3.229 billion net income while Amazon.com has US$ 48.07 billion revenue and US$ 631 million net income. eBay.com is an online auction and shopping website while Amazon.com is the world’s largest online retailer.
On these two websites, there are multiple of product models available for one type of item. Say for example, you are trying to search for a ‘product photography lighting’ on eBay; there are about 20 items will come out on the search result.
Searching the same item ( product photography lighting) on Amazon.com, you can see 16 products on the first page out of 2,437 results. Imagine how that large figure affects your choice.
On the search result page, the first thing that captures the eye is the photo.
In this case, the best product photo has the highest chance to be clicked. If the it is supported with reasonable price and good description, the item will have the chance to be purchased.
This means that to have product photo is not enough. It should be GOOD photo that shouts, “Buy me!”
What else good product photography can offer? Let us put it in a list.
- It captures attention.
- It builds a good impression for the product.
- It suggests better quality.
- It overpowers the necessity of explanation.
- It develops strong brand.
- It delivers a lasting message.
- It sells products.
Product photographs are being used online and offline sell products. No arguments on that. Come in different styles and presentation, they are found if different marketing materials like brochure, poster, flier, quotation, catalogue, banner, restaurant menu, website and more.
Since you now know the importance and usage of product photography, let me share you the tips and techniques to produce good product photographs.
Basic Photography Ideas
- How To Take Photos: 5 Easy Photography Ideas on How to Take Good Pictures
- Revisiting Photography from Another Modern Perspective
- How to Use Your Digital Camera to Its Fullest Advantage
Product Photography Tips
- 7 Key Elements of Product Photography
- How To Shoot Cylindrical Products in Better and Attractive Ways
- Stainless Steel Photography – How to Shoot Highly Reflective Wares
- Glass and Crystal Photography Lighting Tips and Ideas
- Three Things to Consider When Shooting Products for Brochure Design